- Association with peers
- Community resources
- Educational and career aspirations
- Feelings of depression
- Management practices
- Motivation and engagement
- Neighbourhood of residence
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Pedagogical and educational practices
- School climate
- School performance in reading, writing and mathematics
- Self-control and social and behavioural conduct
- Student/teacher relationship
- Support for students having difficulty
- The determinants of school perseverance
- Tobacco, alcohol and drugs
- Work/school balance
The level of parental engagement in children’s schooling affects their school perseverance, their aspirations, their motivation, and their grades. It has been shown that parental attitudes and behaviours such as encouragement, support and participation, recognition, expectations, and value placed on education can influence the educational success of students.
Courses of effective action
- Target and give guidance to parents who struggle to support their children’s education.
- Improve parent-school interaction.
- Promote the value of education and the school.
Source: Réunir Réussir
School perseverance at a glance
of Montreal students obtain a diploma.
A 13.7% improvement since 2009.
of Montreal youth drop out before graduating.
A 8.7% improvement since 2009.
of Québec dropouts are in Montreal.
This represents 1,822 Montreal youth who left school without graduating in 2017.
of Montreal kindergarten students are vulnerable in at least one developmental domain.
This is higher than the Québec average of 27.7%.
of Québec elementary students living in the most underprivileged conditions are in Montreal.
An average of 25,245 Montreal families with a child under the age of 18 live in a highly underprivileged area.
(Target for the Montreal region, students aged 20 and under)