- Association with peers
- Community resources
- Educational and career aspirations
- Feelings of depression
- Management practices
- Motivation and engagement
- Neighbourhood of residence
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Pedagogical and educational practices
- School climate
- School performance in reading, writing and mathematics
- Self-control and social and behavioural conduct
- Student/teacher relationship
- Support for students having difficulty
- The determinants of school perseverance
- Value placed on education and parental involvement
- Work/school balance
Abuse of tobacco, alcohol, and drugs by youth can affect their motivation and grades at school. Drug and alcohol use is a predictor of dropping out of school as well as being harmful to young people’s overall development.
Courses of effective action
- Encourage youth to adopt healthy lifestyle habits.
- Implement universal and intensive prevention activities starting in preschool.
- Implement targeted prevention activities with the support of qualified personnel.
Source: Réunir Réussir
School perseverance at a glance
of Montreal students obtain a diploma.
A 13.7% improvement since 2009.
of Montreal youth drop out before graduating.
A 8.7% improvement since 2009.
of Québec dropouts are in Montreal.
This represents 1,870 Montreal youth who left school without graduating in 2015.
of Montreal kindergarten students are vulnerable in at least one developmental domain.
This is higher than the Québec average of 27.7%.
of Québec elementary students living in the most underprivileged conditions are in Montreal.
An average of 25,245 Montreal families with a child under the age of 18 live in a highly underprivileged area.
(Target for the Montreal region, students aged 20 and under)