- Association with peers
- Community resources
- Educational and career aspirations
- Feelings of depression
- Management practices
- Neighbourhood of residence
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Pedagogical and educational practices
- School climate
- School performance in reading, writing and mathematics
- Self-control and social and behavioural conduct
- Student/teacher relationship
- Support for students having difficulty
- The determinants of school perseverance
- Tobacco, alcohol and drugs
- Value placed on education and parental involvement
- Work/school balance
Students’ motivation and engagement in their studies are strongly linked with their educational performance. This investment is necessary to learn, succeed, and graduate. Students who are motivated engage naturally in their studies, while students who lack motivation tend to adopt behaviours that are incompatible with learning and success at school.
Courses of effective action
- Put in place activities that guide parents in supporting their children’s motivation.
- Implement screening and support programs at school and in the community that focus on student motivation.
Source: Réunir Réussir
School perseverance at a glance
of Montreal students obtain a diploma.
A 13.7% improvement since 2009.
of Montreal youth drop out before graduating.
A 8.7% improvement since 2009.
of Québec dropouts are in Montreal.
This represents 1,870 Montreal youth who left school without graduating in 2015.
of Montreal kindergarten students are vulnerable in at least one developmental domain.
This is higher than the Québec average of 27.7%.
of Québec elementary students living in the most underprivileged conditions are in Montreal.
An average of 25,245 Montreal families with a child under the age of 18 live in a highly underprivileged area.
(Target for the Montreal region, students aged 20 and under)