- Association with peers
- Community resources
- Educational and career aspirations
- Feelings of depression
- Management practices
- Motivation and engagement
- Neighbourhood of residence
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Pedagogical and educational practices
- School climate
- Self-control and social and behavioural conduct
- Student/teacher relationship
- Support for students having difficulty
- The determinants of school perseverance
- Tobacco, alcohol and drugs
- Value placed on education and parental involvement
- Work/school balance
When young people have trouble reading and writing, it affects their performance in all subjects and on their schooling in general. Research has demonstrated close ties between poor grades and the likelihood that a student will drop out.
Courses of effective action
- Establish emergent literacy programs in day- and child-care centres (early action).
- Mobilize families and the community to put in place literacy, numeracy, and academic support activities.
School perseverance at a glance
of Montreal students obtain a diploma.
A 13.7% improvement since 2009.
of Montreal youth drop out before graduating.
A 8.7% improvement since 2009.
of Québec dropouts are in Montreal.
This represents 1,870 Montreal youth who left school without graduating in 2015.
of Montreal kindergarten students are vulnerable in at least one developmental domain.
This is higher than the Québec average of 25.6%.
of Québec elementary students living in the most underprivileged conditions are in Montreal.
An average of 25,245 Montreal families with a child under the age of 18 live in a highly underprivileged area.
(Target for the Montreal region, students aged 20 and under)