- Association with peers
- Community resources
- Educational and career aspirations
- Management practices
- Motivation and engagement
- Neighbourhood of residence
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Pedagogical and educational practices
- School climate
- School performance in reading, writing and mathematics
- Self-control and social and behavioural conduct
- Student/teacher relationship
- Support for students having difficulty
- The determinants of school perseverance
- Tobacco, alcohol and drugs
- Value placed on education and parental involvement
- Work/school balance
Depression can affect young people’s motivation at school, feelings of personal competence, grades, and, as a result, their school perseverance. Youth suffering from depression often go unnoticed at school. Protective factors against depression include positive body image, intellectual competence, popularity, and presence of adequate social support.
Courses of effective action
Source: Réunir Réussir
School perseverance at a glance
of Montreal students obtain a diploma.
A 12.1% improvement since 2009.
of Montreal youth drop out before graduating.
A 3.8% improvement since 2009.
of Québec dropouts are in Montreal.
This represents 2,577 Montreal youth who left school without graduating in 2013.
of Montreal kindergarten students are vulnerable in at least one developmental domain.
This is higher than the Québec average of 25.6%.
of Québec elementary students living in the most underprivileged conditions are in Montreal.
An average of 25,245 Montreal families with a child under the age of 18 live in a highly underprivileged area.
Government graduation-rate target for 2020
(Target for the Montreal region, students aged 20 and under)